Victor J. Torres is a battle-tried and tested law practitioner in complex litigation and commercial matters.
Victor is a passionate advocate of his clients’ interests with common sense and who has developed and honed exceptional analytic, oral and written advocacy, and witness examination skills during over 29 years of experience in successfully representing international, national, and local businesses ranging in size from Fortune 500 companies to small businesses, and individuals.
Victor’s core practice area is commercial litigation, and his experience includes contract, construction, real estate, employment, collection, and land use matters. During his career, Victor has demonstrated a consistent high level of success in litigating against “tops-in-the-field” attorneys in areas including construction, complex commercial cases, and real estate. Victor also has extensive experience in other civil litigation and commercial transactions.
- Defending a Fortune 500 company in a battery of complex construction litigation matters resulting in favorable results including claim dismissals, discharges of liens, and imposition of sanctions.
- Representing employers in non-compete, confidentiality, and restrictive covenant litigation leading to entry of injunctions and other relief, and representing employees in the same subject areas leading to avoidance of requested injunctive and other relief.
- Prosecuting claims of a creditor in an adversary proceeding in bankruptcy court resulting in entry of a final judgment, in a published opinion, declaring that the state-court judgment in favor of the creditor was exempt from discharge under § 523 of the Bankruptcy Code, that the debtor was denied discharge altogether under § 727 of the Bankruptcy Code, and entering default and ordering sanctions against the debtor for discovery recalcitrance and failure to comply with Court orders.
- Defending a real estate developer as co-counsel at trial resulting in a judgment in which the real estate developer was the prevailing party and resulting in imposition of sanctions against the plaintiff.
- Securing entry of orders of summary disposition in defending personal injury claims arising in various contexts including auto negligence and slip and fall.
Victor has been happily married for over 36 years and enjoys being with his wife, children, and grandchildren when not practicing law. Prior to attending law school Victor worked in higher education administration and social services.
- University of Michigan Law School,
Juris Doctor, 1989
- University of Michigan,
Bachelor of Arts, 1982
- State Bar of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Eastern District, Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District, Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District, Michigan
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- State Bar of Michigan
- Latin American Bar Section
- Appointed Special Assistant Attorney General in construction litigation
- Appointed to the U.S. Civil Rights Commission Michigan Advisory Committee
* Mr. Torres is also fluent in Spanish