Don Hutchinson brings more than 26 years of successful past experience with the largest law firms in Michigan in the fields of commercial litigation, commercial law, bankruptcy, and bankruptcy litigation to The Mike Cox Law Firm and has continued to apply and expand his expertise in these fields and into major litigation in such areas as probate and condemnation.
Locally and nationally recognized by his peers as a leading bankruptcy litigation attorney, Don successfully provides clients with correct, practical, cost-effective advice to solve their business law problems and negotiated, litigated, or mediated solutions to their business disputes.
Early in his career, Mr. Hutchinson served as law clerk for The Honorable Gerald Rosen, U.S. District Court Judge, in Detroit. While in practice, he has also served as adjunct faculty part-time, teaching the bankruptcy course to law school students.
As credit to his talents, Mr. Hutchinson has been recognized by the Best Lawyers in America – Bankruptcy Litigation, between 2012 and 2014; DBusiness Best Bankruptcy Creditor-Debtor Rights Lawyer in 2013; American Lawyer Media Top Rated Lawyer in Commercial Litigation in 2012; and, Michigan Super Lawyers – Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights in 2006.
Clients repeatedly come to Don especially for his expertise in investigating, pursuing, and defending insolvency-related claims and lawsuits, including fraud, fraudulent transfer, and preference claims.
- Don successfully established a physician-client’s standing to challenge a major foundation’s misadministration of significant patient donations to former nonprofit hospital in a Detroit probate court proceeding.
- Don played a major role in the defense of a multi-million-dollar and highly publicized condemnation case with complex constitutional and statutory issues.
- Over the past year, he has also represented clients a large-scale bankruptcy matter involving a pharmacy chain and distributor and a complicated probate estate contest.
- Don obtained the dismissal of more than $15 million of bankruptcy preference lawsuits against four clients in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Delaware, and successfully defended that judgment in the Delaware Federal District Court and the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals, where it was joined with similar cases against numerous other defendants totaling over $50 million. Mr. Hutchinson was selected to argue on behalf of all the defendants, which Mr. Hutchinson did successfully in In re American Pad & Paper Co., 478 F.3d 546 (3d Cir. 2007).
- In another published case, Mr. Hutchinson’s writing the trial court and appeal briefs successfully contributed to the dismissal of a multi-million-dollar class action lawsuit against a national automobile finance company concerning its practices in handling reaffirmation agreements with consumers in chapter 7 bankruptcy cases. Pertuso v. Ford Motor Credit Co., 233 F.3d 417 (6th Cir. 2000).
- Mr. Hutchinson has also advised and counseled clients concerning the laws of secured transactions, Article 2 sales, intellectual property, labor laws, environmental laws, municipal finance, international insolvency, and negotiable instruments.
Don lives with his wife, herself an accomplished in-house lawyer and vice president, and two demanding dachshunds. Don’s hobbies include playing the piano and English horn.
- University of Michigan Law School,
- University of Michigan,
- State Bar of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third & Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Eastern District, Michigan
- U.S. Bankruptcy Western District, Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District, Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District, Michigan
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Oakland County Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute